Wednesday, March 31, 2010

grown


what is the purpose of growing, knowing, being told "hey, welcome to adulthood!"
everyone i know denies their grown, clinging to what little piece of childhood they have left. but what is an adult? "an adult is someone who works 9 to 5, has responsibilities, pays bills on time, wears a suit, has kids, forgot how to play or imagine a different world where you walk on the sky and look up at the grass.... being grown." well shit! if that's adulthood, i want to be a child! to play on a climbing structure without looking like a pedophile, pluck daisies and tie them into a chain for my head, make up stories, play tag, go dance in the rain, wake up and save my family from a pirate attack, with nothing but a sword and my pet dragon custard (who's too scared to fight back) to dream the impossible!!

but if growing up is something that i have to do, i suppose that's fine. just as long as i can be the adult who believes in fairies and thinking of 15 ridiculous things every day and HAPPY ENDINGS!! that someday a boy in green might fly in my window and take me to a land where everything is pretend. where music is law and laughter really is the best medicine, and every bump can be fixed by a kiss on it from mom...

so you go ahead and grow up, get boring and old; but as for me? i'll be out somewhere beyond the sea, in a golden ship sailing off on a dream.

2 comments:

  1. I'm the one seven years older than you, who works every day by imagining that the impossible can happen, works noon till whenever, keeps small statues of fairies and dragons scattered about my house, and being unabashedly entertained by my life.

    And yet you've made fun of me for nearly all of the above. Welcome to being an adult... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gabe, i wouldnt be me if i never made fun of you. =P

    p.s. you're only 6 years older than me i thought... hmm.

    ReplyDelete